The C.P. Nel Museum is much appreciated by visitors’ world wide for its variety of beautiful displays.
In 1972 the C.P. Nel collection was brought to its present home, the C.P. Nel Museum , the former Oudtshoorn Boy’s High School. As a result of this, the sandstone building, with its prominent clock tower, designed by Charles Bullock and erected in 1906, was saved from demolition.
The building as a whole dates back to the so-called second “ostrich feather boom” and was declared a National Monument in 1981.
The Museum owes its origin to the private collection of colonel Charles Paul Leonard Nel, successful businessman and collector of antiquities.
The museum was the first in the country to receive the Award of Accreditation in 1982.
It also received a four-star rating in 1983.
AREAS ON DISPLAY:
- Ostrich Hall
- Street Scene
- Na Smit
- Music Room
- Dining Room
- Natural History
- School Hall